**Miller Cooper is conducting this search on behalf of Centaur Construction. Please do NOT contact Company directly.**
Company Overview: "The power of a beast with the mind of a human," Centaur is a Chicago-headquartered construction company located in the Fulton Market district. Portfolio of projects include Specialty New Construction & Historic Renovation, Hotels, Retail, Interiors and Residential Construction mostly in the Chicagoland area, but our services have expanded to Aspen, Colorado! The Company’s core values stem from one concept "Where there is a will, there is a way." At Centaur, thinking outside the box and having a "make it happen" attitude is a vital element to your success and the Company’s.
Company Culture is described as small non-corporate office environment (16-20 people currently expecting to grow further by the Fall). The staff includes architects, superintendents, estimators, project managers as well as support staff for accounting, marketing and communications and administrative responsibilities.
Controller Overview: Through the tremendous growth opportunities, Centaur is looking for a Controller that can lead the accounting/finance function. The leader will report directly to the President and CEO and will need to be extremely well-versed in the construction industry. A successful Controller candidate should know from Day 1: what needs to be done, why it needs to be done, and how it is going to get done as efficiently and effectively as possible. In doing so, the Controller must feel comfortable pushing the limits while also working collaboratively with the team and gaining everyone’s respect.
Goals of the Position:
- Implement standards and best practices aimed at increasing efficiency and productivity of all office staff
- Outline and mandate a reporting regimen that becomes routine without creating busywork
- Maximizing the utilization of Viewpoint Software (collaborative Accounting and Project Management system)
- Set up SMART goals for the Company as agreed upon with President, CEO, and department
- Oversee full cycle accounts receivable duties, including billing, invoicing, depositing payments and applying cash to AR balances, and collection on overdue balances
- Oversee full cycle accounts payable duties, including reviewing invoices, obtaining payment approval, and cutting checks or remitting other forms of payment
- Oversee construction projects from an accounting/financial standpoint, including tracking job costs, percentage of completion, and recording work-in progress adjustments
- Manage Overhead Costs and navigate through leases/agreements (from office equipment to cell phones)
- Manage inter/intra company loans / advances
- Orchestrate month end/year end close procedures and produce monthly and yearly financial reports that aid in the assessment and planning of the business
- Process payroll using third party payroll provider (Paychex)
- Create cashflows, forecasts and financial model as needed
- Perform monthly account reconciliations
- Effectively manage others, including efficiently delegating and following up on tasks
- Review and audit financial data to ensure accuracy, reasonableness, and integrity
- Act as the primary interface with the outside accounting firm to ensure that the annual tax returns are completed in a timely and accurate fashion
- Oversee HR including employee hiring/release, benefits administration, general company insurance
- Manage and track licenses and registrations